Ty Crwn or The Round House
On the 21st October 1830, the freeholders and principals of Barmouth town held a meeting at the Cors-Y-Gedol Arms.
They were concerned that, as Barmouth became a busier seaport with an ever increasing number of visiting ships and their crews, more and more incidents of disorderly behaviour were occurring.
By the end of the meeting they had decided to build the Round House in which any drunkards could be detained until they were sober and the local court was sitting.
The building was completed in 1834. It consisted of two individual cells - one for women and one for men - with an external door for each.
Location: near the harbour, behind Ty Gwyn.
- Written by Robin
- Category: History
- Published: 27 January 2015
- Hits: 1502